Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Making it Even Better!
(01-28-2019, 09:47 PM)Cooke Wrote: Hi Leandro
In fact the content of the MasterClass is very complete and in my way of understanding nothing is missing.
Thinking about my own difficulties in composing orchestral music, the material that will be very useful for me are best practices and ways to control expression, modulation, vibrato, etc... for each type of instrument / articulations.
I believe that much of the realism comes from knowing how to perform the articulations and dynamics in the way a real musician would play, regardless of the library used

Another point that will be very useful is knowing how to match libraries of different companies without there being an immense work in the mix.

Thanks
Cristian

Cristian, when you say the best practices and ways to control expression, modulation, vibrato, etc.. do you mean midi controllers?
If so I am afraid there is no best way. This is very personal for each composer.
I use Ipad with Lemur inside it but some other composers prefer buttons and knobs that they can physically touch.

Regarding matching libraries please see my answer above. I can also add that matching libraries require some work when you bring a new product to the template but it is a well invested time because it will save your time for all your future projects.
Composer/Orchestrator/Programmer
www.leandrogardini.com

[quote pid='525' dateline='1548733066']
Hello Leandro my name is is Leonardo Escarcega. One question that comes to my mind is to how to properly use automation and expression to properly manage a drastic change of dynamic volume and tone when creating realistic orchestral mockups, it’s this only achieve with automation or volume too?
[/quote]

Leonardo, you may use automation as lots of composers do, but Lesson 6 is all about my personal way to solve almost 100% of the mixing problems.
www.leandrogardini.com

[quote pid='526' dateline='1548733974']
Hi Leandro,
The course is very comprehensive and very well detailed.

I would suggest the following:

a) Percussion: a step-by-step approach in how to create the percussion (to sequence them) showing the music sheet / score with the steps to build the pattern. Example: we see the score/a simple pattern with all elements and then you show how to combine those elements; Add percussion climax, tips regarding doubling for color

b) For some topic presented (or some bunch of topics) you could add recommended reading / suggested reading, if there is any, just in case if someone is interested to explore further material.

Other than that, in my opinion, it is terrific. Congratulations.

Marcio
[/quote]

Marcio, I am afraid suggestion a) to be more related to composition than midi production. However, we can put some tutorials if the demand is big.

For b) and I will be updating the material from time to time. You are now in 702 but if you go back to 701 you are going to see some additional content with external links and there are more coming soon.
I just can't refer readings because I have never studied any midi orchestration book. Scoring Tools Masterclass is all about my personal approach to virtual orchestras. That's why the knowledge that you can get here won't be found anywhere else.
Some of the content my overlap with what is out there but definitely not my approach.
www.leandrogardini.com

[quote pid='526' dateline='1548733974']
Hi Leandro,
The course is very comprehensive and very well detailed.

I would suggest the following:

a) Percussion: a step-by-step approach in how to create the percussion (to sequence them) showing the music sheet / score with the steps to build the pattern. Example: we see the score/a simple pattern with all elements and then you show how to combine those elements; Add percussion climax, tips regarding doubling for color

b) For some topic presented (or some bunch of topics) you could add recommended reading / suggested reading, if there is any, just in case if someone is interested to explore further material.

Other than that, in my opinion, it is terrific. Congratulations.

Marcio
[/quote]

Marcio, I am afraid suggestion a) to be more related to composition than midi production. However, we can put some tutorials if the demand is big.

For b) and I will be updating the material from time to time. You are now in 702 but if you go back to 701 you are going to see some additional content with external links and there are more coming soon.
I just can't refer readings because I have never studied any midi orchestration book. Scoring Tools Masterclass is all about my personal approach to virtual orchestras. That's why the knowledge that you can get here won't be found anywhere else.
Some of the content my overlap with what is out there but definitely not my approach.
www.leandrogardini.com

(01-29-2019, 08:19 AM)ecervera Wrote: Hi Leandro. Thanks for sharing and giving us the opportunity to participate.
I have two questions about midi orchestration that I would like to be covered.
How can you invest in the main libraries gradually, little by little, from a small investment, testing and being sure that what you buy is what you need. That is, in what libraries you have to see by setting the budget that is available to invest.
And the other question is how to achieve that realism that derives from knowing how to perform articulations and dynamics in the way that a real musician would, and how to correctly use automation and expression to properly manage a drastic change in dynamic volume and tone.
Thanks and regards
Enrique

Enrique, your concern is absolutely important. Being conscious about your investments is one of the key characteristics of a good programmer.
I see a lot of people asking for help to spend their money when they even don't know what they need. Their hope is that a new library will make them better composer.
I address your concern throughout the entire course in many different ways. Creating a conscious mind is something that takes time to develop and I see my advanced students with it now.
Though, if you are tight in a budget this thread my help you.

Unit 703 is all about your second question. Wink
www.leandrogardini.com

(01-30-2019, 04:19 PM)Gee Wrote: Firstly the course is GREAT!! 

Here are my suggestions, but I think you are planning on covering all the items, however these are the areas that I am working on.

I noticed how in your writing you make use not only of the dynamics as they would be indicated on a written part, but also how you use the orchestra to layer sounds to create dynamics.  I.e. combining Tuba, Bass Trombone and ContraBass to add “more weight" to a part.  I look forward to learning your ideas on instrument combinations.

I find that dynamics are so important, but some libraries have the samples setup so they are crossfaded using velocities (p, mf, f, ff). I prefer to have the samples setup on either a mod wheel, breath controller or another slider on a control surface, as this gives me the control over the samples in my preferred workflow.  I would like to know which libraries you use that allow the custom setup for controlling sample crossfades.

In my system I have found the following:
  • A weighted keyboard is good for playing in some parts especially piano 
  • For a lot of quick lines, grace notes, I prefer a non-weighted keyboard
  • A breath controller is a big part of my setup and would like ideas on how others are using this type of controller
  • As a guitar player I also use a guitar synth, and others may want to know about alternative controllers (wind controller)
  • The group of intelligent mixing and analysis tools i.e. iZotope Neutron 2, FabFilter & TDR Nova – Gentleman’s Edition, are plugins that save me a lot of time for “quick and dirty” production.  (I am not sure if they have a place in this course.)  These types of plugins are making inroads in our industry, a discussion is relevant because of the results you can get and the affordability of these multi-plugins.
I LOVE THE COURSE and I can’t wait to get to the next lesson

Thank you Gary!

The combination of instruments is something related to orchestration/composition. Out focus is on midi production, however we can't fully cover the subjects of virtual orchestras without touching on orchestration/composition.
There are some insights about this subject but if you want to know how I achieve a certain orchestral texture then this is a subject about our upcoming courses which will be totally integrated with Scoring Tools Masterclass.

I am not sure I understand your second question. I am constantly using crossfade but I don't make any custom control for it besides assigning it to a midi CC via midi learn.

I talk about keyboard again on Unit 703 that have a chapter dedicated to simulating difficult passages.
In some other lessons I talk about FabFilter and how I use it to match libraries and create missing dynamics.
www.leandrogardini.com

Hi, Leandro!
First, congratulations !! Your course is incredible !!
I would like to deepen the balance of the orchestra. For example, what are the families that fit well with each other. For example, does the violin work well with the flute? Does the bassoon work well with the cello? How to create realistic textures?
I know this is part of the orchestration study, but will you address this issue?
Thank you!
(02-02-2019, 03:03 AM)Victor Mazarelo Wrote: Hi, Leandro!
First, congratulations !! Your course is incredible !!
I would like to deepen the balance of the orchestra. For example, what are the families that fit well with each other. For example, does the violin work well with the flute? Does the bassoon work well with the cello? How to create realistic textures?
I know this is part of the orchestration study, but will you address this issue?
Thank you!

Victor, it is indeed part of orchestration. The way I will address this issue is: if flute and violin work well together why they are not sounding good in your piece.

On my private classes, that is only available in the premium version, I can closely work with anything you bring to me, be it mockup, orchestration or any other thing but Scoring Tools Masterclass is dedicated to anything related to producing realistic midi mockups which in many occasion overlaps with traditional orchestration.
www.leandrogardini.com

(02-01-2019, 02:15 PM)Leandro Gardini Wrote:
(01-28-2019, 04:23 PM)Maximus Wrote: Dear Leandro,

As someone previously mentioned, the syllabus as it stands is very thorough and detailed... Personally I would love to understand how to create a more chamber like sound and not just in terms of space (reverb) but how to assemble a more chamber like virtual ensemble that is expressive.

Keep up the wonderful work... I just wonder how your upcoming courses will be like knowing your dedication and knowledge.

Kind regards and many blessing,

Max T.

Max, I believe what you want to know is in Lesson 8. In this lesson I teach how to adapt our template to any other music style and formation.
With just a matter of minutes you can adapt your matrix template to any size ensemble and room. It is much better than having lots of different templates.

Thanks a lot Leo for your kind reply and feedback... Many Blessings, Max T.